Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Overheard

Every once in a while I am reminded of what makes this whole parenting thing really, really worth it. Sometimes it's terribly sweet things like sleeping babies and sticky kisses and breakfast in bed...Or so I have heard, I mean sleeping babies wake up and those kisses are usually more slimy than sticky and who has ever really had a decent breakfast in bed as prepared by a tiny chef without access to any actual appliances?

There are a couple of things that happen in this motherhood business that always deliver instant job satisfaction. Obviously the first of these is when my little brood is safely shuffled off to school at 8:20 every morning.  Less consistent, but more rewarding, are the times I catch a snippet of my kids' conversations, one sibling explaining  to another infinitely less-worldly sibling just how something works or what something means or how to behave.

As in a nearly-twelve-year-old know-it-all explaining to her five-year-old sister that the newest K-Y personal lubricant commercial (the one with the British couple happily, steamily, recalling the previous night's congress over breakfast, discussing nutmeg all-the-while) is for "lipstick." Fantastic!

The original mommyfesto blog featured a series of posts on this topic - recapping for the reader (I mean "the" in the completely singular sense of the article) the very best of the private conversations of our family life. These "Overheard" posts are some of my favorite and I am almost certain they will be making a comeback on moremommyfesto. However, until new material is generated, I thought I'd resurrect a nearly perfect one (you'll note that I'm a player here: that's allowed).

Overheard In the Bathroom (late 2009)

Sunday night, 8 p.m., just outside the bathroom door
Me: Xavier, please get in the bath tub
no response
Me: Xavier, I really want you to get in the bath tub.
no response
Me: Now!
no response
Me: You need to take a bath, what is going on in there?
no response
Me: Please... get... in... the... tub
Polly (the three year old): Xavier just get in the fucking bathtub.
Me: Polly, go to your room.
Xavier: Why? What'd she say? Mom, what did she do?

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe your kids have ever even heard that word....

    ReplyDelete